Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Photo School Dropout



I dropped out of photography school and doing so will hopefully bring me out of my photography hole. Reasoning and details below:

  1. The photography I’ve produced while in school is technically 'on' but, to me, lacks vision and direction.
  2. My best work was created prior to school; I hate my current stuff, maybe 'exotic' locales have something to do with it but...........
  3. I need to be in an environment that is inspired by great work, not just 'work'
  4. The school, well....they just can’t get it together; their Ts are topless and their I’s ball-less. That's about all I can say in this public forum without creating bad karma for myself.

So.... here I am, a photo school drop out.

And with that, on to greener pastures I go. Of course these pastures are unmowed, but pastures have a lot more to reveal and are certainly more interesting than just about any lawn.

3 comments:

hpcine said...

Do you feel that the technical training you received can help you out of your creative slump, or do you feel the school you attended is somehow responsible for this current lapse in inspiration? If the latter is true, then leaving the school should be a massive snort of creative thunder!

hpcine said...

A theory: have you tried B& W via film, instead of digital? Mefinds, methinks that monochrome in digital is unconvincing, somehow, ack the bite and the surface quality that makes B&W photography so traditionally appealing...A theory, just a thought...

Corey said...

My goodness - I had no idea what you were experiencing. I'm glad for you to have identified the possible source of the problem. I love all your work, and hope that soon, you do too! Good luck, deary!